Buying a Home

Do You Need a Survey When Buying a New-Build?

Despite what you may think, when buying a new property it is still advisable to organise a building survey. There have been stories of families investing their life-savings into their dream new home and then moving in, only to discover the property has a whole list of faults.

Types of Survey

Most mortgage lenders will insist on buyers having a valuation survey done, simply to confirm that the property is worth the cost of the mortgage. However, this is not the same as a property survey, which looks at the structural build of the property.

Examples of faults that can be found in a new-build include problems with the plumbing, unsafe chimneys and poorly attached fixtures. Other problems include bad drainage systems, which cause regular blockages and bad odours.

Buyers are advised to contact their local conveyancing company, such as a homebuyers report Oxfordshire from, and get a quote for a property survey. Many companies offer this service online, and all communication can be carried out electronically, saving time and money.

There are different types of survey, and a new-build property will not have the same issues as a period property, for example, plus a new-build will come with a NHBC guarantee, but always seek professional advice as to the right survey for the property you are purchasing.

New-Build Warranty

The NHBC warranty comes with all new-builds and covers the first ten years after the sale, including cover if the property is not finished in accordance with certain standards. In addition, in the first two years after completion, buyers will be protected against any damage caused by the builder not meeting these standards. General wear and tear is not covered under the warranty. From year three, items such as gutters and central heating are also not covered and should be included in any personal household insurance cover taken out by the property owner.

Floods such as those seen in the Peak District earlier in the summer can cause huge damage to properties, so ensure you are as protected as possible.

All surveys should be carried out by qualified surveyors who are members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, and it is recommended that you try to use a surveyor who is very familiar with the local area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *